USI has created a highly selective process for reviewing candidates for employment resulting in an acceptance rate of 1 in 10 candidates, and one of the highest percentages of former law enforcement and military personnel than any other security firm in our market.
USI’s 10-Step Plus Employee Selection Process is the foundation for quality service by supporting our ability to hire the right people the first time improving performance and retention. Our ability to attract and retain the best personnel distinguishes USI from its competitors and establishes our foundation for effective internal and external partnerships.
10-Step Plus Employee Selection Process
The 10-Step Process involves completing an application and aptitude testing, multiple interviews, criminal and employment background checks and third-party drug screening. The “Plus” refers to USI’s commitment to rescreening including criminal history, license renewals and driving records.
Our clients entrust USI with protecting the lives of their employees and customers and billions of dollars of assets everyday; ensuring our security personnel meet the highest thresholds for selection is our first step in our commitment and trust.
Although ALL USI personnel must complete and participate in the 10-Step Plus Process, our Human Resources Department also works individually with clients to meet specific client, local, state or federal requirements. The USI 10-Step Plus Employee Selection Process includes:
- Initial Screening
- Application Review
- H.R. Interviews
- Reference Checks
- Criminal Background Checks
- Communication Skills Review
- Third-Party Drug Screening
- Site Compatibility Assessment
- Assignment to Work Site
- Initial On-the-Job Training
In addition, USI has implemented minimum hiring standards and policies that meet or exceed state and federal requirements including:
- U.S. citizenship or valid U.S. work permit
- Eighteen (18) years of age
- Clean criminal record and drug screening
- Valid driver’s license or state identification card
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- Meet federal, state or municipal training and licensing requirements
- Clear English language skills including speaking, reading, writing and comprehension including oral and written orders, procedures and materials
- Ability to compose written reports and convey complete information
- Physically able to perform tasks based on post assignments and requirements
- Aptitude for role, position and tasks including well-developed maturity
level and professionalism
- Neat, clean and well-groomed appearance